Re: Prevent pg_basebackup running as root - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Prevent pg_basebackup running as root
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 03:38:54PM +0900, Ian Barwick wrote:
> 2020年1月30日(木) 14:57 Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>:

I have never noticed that your client was configured in Japanese :)

> I think we can skip the second sentence altogether. It'd be theoretically
> easy enough to up with some combination of group permissions,
> sticky bits, umask, ACL settings etc/ which would allow one user to
> modify the files owned by another user,

Okay, fine by me.

> Hmm, I was using the existing message from initdb and pg_ctl for consistency:

Ahh, indeed.  pg_rewind has inherited its message from pg_resetwal.

> I wonder if it would be worth settling on a common message and way of emitting
> it, each utility does it slightly differently.

Not sure that's a good idea.  Each tool has its own properties, so it
is good to keep some flexibility in the error message produced.

Anyway, your patch looks like a good idea to me, so let's see if
others have opinions or objections about it.
--
Michael

Attachment