Re: pgsql: Add a non-strict version of jsonb_set - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: pgsql: Add a non-strict version of jsonb_set
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 06:41:02PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>
> > I'd love to have a git pre-commit hook that would warn about this, it
> > seems to happen several times a year, and I know I've transgressed
> > more than once. Not sure what the rules should be, something like if
> > you changed src/include/catalog/* but not
> > src/include/catalog/catversion.h ?
>
> Meh.  I think that would lead to forced catversion bumps even when
> not necessary (ex: when just correcting description strings).
> The cure could easily be worse than the disease.
>
> In reality, the only reason for repeated catversion bumps during
> development is to warn fellow developers that they have to do
> an initdb after a git pull.  That's certainly a valuable courtesy,
> but the sky generally isn't going to fall if you forget.
>
> I'd be okay with a hook that there was a way to override ("yes,
> I know what I'm doing, this doesn't require a catversion change").
> But there's no way to do that is there?

I'm pretty sure there is. The program called by the commit hook can
prompt the user for input. Something that says

    Are you sure you want to push this without a catalog bump? (N/y)

with the corresponding machinery for defaults would do it.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!