Re: remove some STATUS_* symbols - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: remove some STATUS_* symbols
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Thu, 16 Jan 2020 14:50:01 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote in
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 08:14:17AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > OK, pushed as it was then.
>
> Thanks, that looks fine.  I am still not sure whether the second patch
> adding an enum via ProcWaitStatus improves the code readability
> though, so my take would be to discard it for now.  Perhaps others
> think differently, I don't know.

I feel the same about the second patch.

Although actually STATUS_WAITING is used only by ProcSleep and related
functions, likewise STATUS_EOF is seen only in auth.c/h. Other files,
pqcomm.c, crypt.c postmaster.c, hba.c, fe-auth.c , fe-connect.c,
fe-gssapi-common.c are using only STATUS_OK and ERROR. I haven't had a
close look but all of the usages would be equivalent to bool.

On the other hand many functions in fe-*.c and pqcomm.c returns
EOF(-1)/0 instead of STATUS_EOF(-2)/STATUS_OK(0).

We could reorganize the values and their usage but it doesn't seem to
be a big win..

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi