Re: TRUNCATE on foreign tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: TRUNCATE on foreign tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Michael Paquier (michael@paquier.xyz) wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 09:46:44AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > I agree that the FDW callback should support multiple tables in the
> > TRUNCATE, but I think it also should include CASCADE as an option and
> > have that be passed on to the FDW to handle.
>
> As much as RESTRICT, ONLY and the INDENTITY clauses, no?  Just think
> about postgres_fdw.

RESTRICT, yes.  I don't know about ONLY being sensible as we don't
really deal with inheritance and foreign tables very cleanly today, as I
said up-thread, so I'm not sure if we really want to put in the effort
that it'd require to figure out how to make ONLY make sense.  The
question about how to handle IDENTITY is a good one.  I suppose we could
just pass that down and let the FDW sort it out..?

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment