Re: xact_start for walsender & logical decoding not updated - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: xact_start for walsender & logical decoding not updated
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Dec-13, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:

> At Fri, 13 Dec 2019 13:05:41 +0800, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote in
> > On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 at 02:08, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>
> > wrote:

> > > tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote in

> > > Yeah, I think we should to that.
> > Agreed. Don't report a transaction start timestamp at all if we're not in a
> > read/write txn in the walsender, which we should never be when using a
> > historic snapshot.
> >
> > It's not interesting or relevant.

This patch changes xact.c to avoid updating transaction start timestamps
for walsenders (maybe more commentary is desirable).  I think logical
decoding is just a special form of walsender and thus it would also be
updated by this patch, unless I misunderstood what Tomas explained.

> > Reporting the commit timestamp of the current or last-processed xact would
> > likely just be confusing. I'd rather see that in pg_stat_replication if
> > we're going to show it, that way we can label it usefully.
>
> Sounds reasonable.

Developers interested in this feature can submit a patch, as usual :-)

Attachment