Re: pgpool High Availability Issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: pgpool High Availability Issue
Date
List pgsql-general
> I'm working on configuring high availability for pgpool using watchdog.
> Initially, I tried with two pgpool nodes (along with a pgmaster and
> pgslave). In this scenario, assuming pgpool node 1 was started first and
> became the leader. After sometime , the node got disconnected with  pgpool
> node 2 and pgpool node 2 as well declared itself as leader.
>

> To handle this kind of scenario, I tried provisioning an additional pgpool
> node and made a cluster with total 5 nodes (3 pgpool nodes, 1 pgmaster and
> 1 pgslave), assuming it will create a quorum to handle such situations.
> Unfortunately, the situation still remains the same. (In case of any
> disconnection between node that became leader and the first stand by node,
> both the nodes try to manage the pgmaster and slave simultaneously).
>
> Please help me understand if this is expected behavior or some additional
> configurations are required to be made, so that two pgpool nodes don't
> become leader simultaneously.  If it's an expected behavior, how can we
> handle this ?

Definitely it's not an expected behavior unless there's something
wrong with Pgpool-II version or with Pgpool-II configuration.

To investigate the problem we need:

- exact Pgpool-II version
- pgpool.conf on all 3 pgpool nodes
- pgpool log when one of pgpool nodes went down

> (A point to note is that I'm not using elastic IP address here, instead I
> have created a network load balancer in AWS, created a target group with
> all the three pgpool nodes as targets).
>
> Regards,
> Venkatesh.

Best regards,