Re: Make default values bold in Synopsis / bnf diagram - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Make default values bold in Synopsis / bnf diagram
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Mon, Dec  2, 2019 at 09:19:32PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-set-transaction.html
>
> As an example let's take take "BEGIN"
> in the Synopsis :
> -------- Start Synopsis for BEGIN --------------------
> BEGIN [ WORK | TRANSACTION ] [ transaction_mode [, ...] ]
>
> where transaction_mode is one of:
>
>     ISOLATION LEVEL { SERIALIZABLE | REPEATABLE READ | READ COMMITTED | READ
> UNCOMMITTED }
>     READ WRITE | READ ONLY
>     [ NOT ] DEFERRABLE
> -------- End Synopsis for BEGIN --------------------
> In this example the words to words "READ COMMITTED", "READ WRITE" should be
> bold since they are default values if I execute the statement "BEGIN;" see
> the example.

Uh, I don't think we bold the defaults in the syntax, but if we wanted
to do that, we should do it everywhere.  Is that something we want?  I
am afraid it would just make the default values stand out, which seems
counter-productive.

> By the way I started in "BEGIN" but here the defaults was not even present
> sow I went to "START TRANSACTION but still no indication on default values
> but finally in "SET TRANSACTION"
> There are default value for "ISOLATION LEVEL" but nothing on default value
> for "READ WRITE | READ ONLY" or  "[ NOT ] DEFERRABLE".

Uh, I see in the BEGIN manual page:

    If the isolation level, read/write mode, or deferrable mode is
    specified, the new transaction has those characteristics, as if SET
    TRANSACTION (SET_TRANSACTION(7)) was executed.

and in SET TRANSACTION:

    If the isolation level, read/write mode, or deferrable mode is
    specified, the new transaction has those characteristics, as if SET
    TRANSACTION (SET_TRANSACTION(7)) was executed.

Is "has those characteristics" unclear?