Re: A question about upgrading on Debian/Ubuntu - Mailing list pgsql-general

From stan
Subject Re: A question about upgrading on Debian/Ubuntu
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 07:46:02AM -0800, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 12/10/19 3:21 AM, stan wrote:
> > I upgraded successfully on our test machine from V11 to V12 the other day.
>
> The below indicates that this is not the case.
>
> > Now it is time to upgrade the production machine. One f the lessons
> > learned in doing this is to do "make install" on all the extensions used
> > in the existing DB before doing the pg_dropcluster.
>
> If you are installing from packages then a good deal of the extensions
> should be in postgresql-contrib and you do not have to do make install.

It is installed:

dpkg -l
ii  postgresql-contrib

> Do you have packages that come from outside contrib?:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/contrib.html

Yes, pgemailaddr is one.

> > On the production machine I am confused by the state of the V12 server:
> >
> > If I do sudo apt-get install postgresql-12 I get a message about this
> > package being marked to be "manually installed: pg_lsclusters reports on a
> > version 11 instance:
>
> Do have?:
>
> /etc/postgresql/12/

Yes, I do.

> > stan@smokey:~/src/pgemailaddr-master$ pg_lsclusters
> > Ver Cluster Port Status Owner    Data directory              Log file
> > 11  main    5432 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/11/main
> > /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-11-main.log
> >
> > And when I do a "make install" on one of the extensions, it installs in
> > the V11 location.
>
> Lets first see what you have for a 12 install before tackling that.

Script started on 2019-12-10 16:09:59+0000
]0;stan@ica-db: ~stan@ica-db:~$
]0;stan@ica-db: ~stan@ica-db:~$ dpkg-query -l postgresql*
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (StatusErr: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                  Version                 Architecture            Description

+++-=====================================-=======================-=======================-================================================================================
ii  postgresql                            12+210.pgdg18.04+1      all                     object-relational SQL
database(supported version)

un  postgresql-10                         <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-10-pgagent                 <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
ii  postgresql-11                         11.6-1.pgdg18.04+1      amd64                   object-relational SQL
databaseversion 11 server

un  postgresql-11-citus                   <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-11-cron                    <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-11-pgagent                 <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-11-pgextwlist              <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-11-pglogical               <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-11-plsh                    <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-11-rum                     <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-11-wal2json                <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
ii  postgresql-12                         12.1-1.pgdg18.04+1      amd64                   object-relational SQL
databaseversion 12 server

un  postgresql-12-pgagent                 <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-9.1                        <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-9.4                        <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-9.4-pgagent                <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-9.5                        <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-9.5-pgagent                <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-9.6                        <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-9.6-pgagent                <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-client                     <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
ii  postgresql-client-11                  11.6-1.pgdg18.04+1      amd64                   front-end programs for
PostgreSQL11

ii  postgresql-client-12                  12.1-1.pgdg18.04+1      amd64                   front-end programs for
PostgreSQL12

ii  postgresql-client-common              210.pgdg18.04+1         all                     manager for multiple
PostgreSQLclient versions

ii  postgresql-common                     210.pgdg18.04+1         all                     PostgreSQL database-cluster
manager
ii  postgresql-contrib                    12+210.pgdg18.04+1      all                     additional facilities for
PostgreSQL(supported version)

un  postgresql-contrib-11                 <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-contrib-12                 <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-doc                        <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-doc-11                     <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
un  postgresql-doc-12                     <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
ii  postgresql-server-dev-11              11.6-1.pgdg18.04+1      amd64                   development files for
PostgreSQL11 server-side programming

un  postgresql-server-dev-all             <none>                  <none>                  (no description available)
]0;stan@ica-db: ~stan@ica-db:~$ exit

Script done on 2019-12-10 16:10:19+0000

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin