Re: Isolation of multiple databse instances provided by a singlepostgres server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: Isolation of multiple databse instances provided by a singlepostgres server
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2019-11-21 07:21:10 -0800, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 11/21/19 6:51 AM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > - The different databases in a cluster are physically located in
> >    the same tablespace, but they are logically strictly separated.
> >    You cannot connect to one database and access another database from there.
>
> dblink(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/dblink.html) and
> FDW(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-createforeigntable.html) would
> beg to differ.

I was thinking of FDW.

But I think Laurenz had the SQL syntax in mind which does include the
database in the fully qualified form of a tablename. Something like

db2=# select * from db2.public.t3;
╔════╤═══════════════════════╗
║ id │           t           ║
╟────┼───────────────────────╢
║  1 │ this is db2.public.t3 ║
(1 row)

works. But when you try to access a table in a different database you
get an error:

db2=# select * from db1.public.t1;
ERROR:  cross-database references are not implemented: "db1.public.t1"
LINE 1: select * from db1.public.t1;

        hp

Attachment