Re: checkpointer: PANIC: could not fsync file: No such file ordirectory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: checkpointer: PANIC: could not fsync file: No such file ordirectory
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 07:22:26PM -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> I was trying to reproduce what was happening:
> set -x; psql postgres -txc "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS t" -c "CREATE TABLE t(i int unique); INSERT INTO t SELECT
generate_series(1,999999)";echo "begin;SELECT pg_export_snapshot(); SELECT pg_sleep(9)" |psql postgres -At
>/tmp/snapshot&sleep 3; snap=`sed "1{/BEGIN/d}; q" /tmp/snapshot`; PGOPTIONS='-cclient_min_messages=debug' psql
postgres-txc "ALTER TABLE t ALTER i TYPE bigint" -c CHECKPOINT; pg_dump -d postgres -t t --snap="$snap" |head -44;

> Under v12, with or without the CHECKPOINT command, it fails:
> |pg_dump: error: query failed: ERROR:  cache lookup failed for index 0
> But under v9.5.2 (which I found quickly), without CHECKPOINT, it instead fails like:
> |pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query failed: ERROR:  cache lookup failed for index 16391
> With the CHECKPOINT command, 9.5.2 works, but I don't see why it should be
> needed, or why it would behave differently (or if it's related to this crash).

Actually, I think that's at least related to documented behavior:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/mvcc-caveats.html
|Some DDL commands, currently only TRUNCATE and the table-rewriting forms of ALTER TABLE, are not MVCC-safe. This means
thatafter the truncation or rewrite commits, the table will appear empty to concurrent transactions, if they are using
asnapshot taken before the DDL command committed.

I don't know why CHECKPOINT allows it to work under 9.5, or if it's even
related to the PANIC ..

Justin