Making "invisible" characters visible ? (psql) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From stan
Subject Making "invisible" characters visible ? (psql)
Date
List pgsql-general
I added a column to an existing table, so there should be nothing (actually
the default, I suppose) in this column for all existing rows.

However if I do:

select new_column from modified_table ;

I get the total number of rows in the table, but the lines on the screen
have no visible characters. I was expecting these to be nulls, and this
select to return nothing.

How can i make these "invisible" characters visible?

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin