Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Nov-20, Juan José Santamaría Flecha wrote:

> I was not able to reproduce the Permission denied error with current HEAD,
> until I opened another CMD inside the "pg_replslot/regression_slot" folder.
> This will be problematic, is the deletion of the folder actually needed?

Yes :-(  The code assumes that if the directory is there, then it's
valid.  Trying to remove that assumption is probably a more invasive
fix.

I think ReplicationSlotDropAcquired is too pessimistic (no recourse if
the rename fails) and too optimistic (this will almost never happen).
We could change it so that the rename is retried a few times, and avoid
the failure.  (Naturally, the rmtree should also be retried.)  The code
seems written with the POSIX semantics in mind, but it seems easy to
improve.