Re: ssl passphrase callback - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: ssl passphrase callback
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 01:01:17PM -0600, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 7:24 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>       We had this
>     discussion in relation to archive_command years ago, and decided on a
>     shell command as the best API.
>
> I don't recall that from back then, but that was a long time ago.
>
> But it's interesting that you mention it, given the number of people I have
> been discussing that with recently, under the topic of changing it from a shell
> command into a shared library API (with there being a shell command as one
> possible implementation of course).
>
> One of the main reasons there being to be easily able to transfer more state
> and give results other than just an exit code, no need to deal with parameter
> escaping etc. Which probably wouldn't matter as much to an SSL passphrase
> command, but still.

I get the callback-is-easier issue with shared objects, but are we
expecting to pass in more information here than we do for
archive_command?  I would think not.  What I am saying is that if we
don't think passing things in works, we should fix all these external
commands, or something.   I don't see why ssl_passphrase_command is
different, except that it is new.  Or is it related to _securely_
passing something?

Also, why was this patch posted without any discussion of these issues?
Shouldn't we ideally discuss the API first?