Re: Monitoring disk space from within the server - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Monitoring disk space from within the server
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 09:47:47AM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> I agree with Tomas upthread that it's unclear whether this needs to be in core.
> There are many system parameters a database admin is likely to be interested
> in, diskspace being just one of them (albeit a very important one for many
> reasons), and there is nothing that makes the SQL interface (or postgres core
> for that matter) particularly more suited for this job than other existing
> tools.
>
> Why is SQL level crucial for this?

Because this makes the monitoring experience easier from a remote
perspective.  FWIW, I have cases it would have been useful to monitor
out the physical amount of space available with the amount of space
covered by bloated tables for a given set of tablespaces through a
single source.
--
Michael

Attachment