Re: update ALTER TABLE with ATTACH PARTITION lock mode (docs) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: update ALTER TABLE with ATTACH PARTITION lock mode (docs)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 11:01:22PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 08:59:48AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > I guess you mean because it's not a child until after the ALTER.  Yes, that
> > makes sense.
>
> Yes, perhaps you have another idea than mine on how to shape this
> sentence?

I can't think of anything better.

Attaching a partition acquires a <literal>SHARE UPDATE EXCLUSIVE</literal> lock
on the parent table, in addition to <literal>ACCESS EXCLUSIVE</literal> locks
on the table to be attached and the <literal>DEFAULT</literal> partition (if
any).

Justin