Can I wrtie a function that has a BEFORE trigger that is not columnname dpendent? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From stan
Subject Can I wrtie a function that has a BEFORE trigger that is not columnname dpendent?
Date
List pgsql-general
I would like to write a generic function that I can place as a BEFORE trigger
on several tables. It would do a max() on the column it was triggered for, and
return(max + 1) unless max returns a NULL, in which case it would return one.

Yes, I know this  looks a lot like a sequence, but normally this value would
be provided manually at row input time, I just want to allow for some
automated updates.

The trick is hat the function needs to work for any numeric column I place it n
as a trigger.

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin