Re: Referncing a calculated column in a select? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: Referncing a calculated column in a select?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2019-09-13 11:49:28 +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> At Thu, 12 Sep 2019 23:16:01 +0200, "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at> wrote in <20190912211601.GA3842@hjp.at>
[...]
> > I think he wants to refer to other columns in the view.
> ..
> > What you can do is nest views:
>
> Doesn't subquery work?

Yes, a subquery would work, too.

> Or CTE (WITH clause) might look better.

CTEs (which I quite like in general) are optimisation barriers, so using
them in a view may lead to inefficient plans (depending on what you do
with the view). So, yes, it would work, but you have to check the plans
of your queries (and be prepared to rewrite your view if they aren't
good enough), which is why I didn't suggest it.

        hp

| |   | hjp@hjp.at         | management tools.

Attachment