Re: tap tests driving the database via psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: tap tests driving the database via psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Jul-30, Tom Lane wrote:

> OK, so just lifting DBD::Pg in toto is out for license reasons.
> However, maybe we could consider writing a new DBD driver from
> scratch (while using a platform-provided DBI layer) rather than
> doing everything from scratch.  I'm not sure how much actual
> functionality is in the DBI layer, so maybe that approach
> wouldn't buy much.

Then again, maybe we don't *need* all the functionality that DBI offers.
DBI is enormous, has a lot of extensibility, cross-database
compatibility ... and, well, just the fact that it's a layered design
(requiring a DBD on top of it before it even works) makes it even more
complicated.

I think a pure-perl standalone driver might be a lot simpler than
maintanining our own DBD ... and we don't have to convince animal
maintainers to install the right version of DBI in the first place.