Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 07:44:20AM -0400, Sehrope Sarkuni wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 8:35 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> From the patch:
>
> /*
> ! * The initialization vector (IV) is used for page-level
> ! * encryption.  We use the LSN and page number as the IV, and IV
> ! * values must never be reused since it is insecure. It is safe
> ! * to use the LSN on multiple pages in the same relation since
> ! * the page number is part of the IV.  It is unsafe to reuse the
> ! * LSN in different relations because the page number might be
> ! * the same, and hence the IV.  Therefore, we check here that
> ! * we don't have WAL records for different relations using the
> ! * same LSN.
> ! */
>
> If each relation file has its own derived key, the derived TDEK for that
> relation file, then there is no issue with reusing the same IV = LSN || Page
> Number. The TDEKs will be different so Key + IV will never collide.

So, this email explains that we are considering not using the
relfilenode/tablepsace/database to create a derived key per relation,
but us the same key for all relaions because the IV will be unique per
page across all relations:

    https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20190729134442.2bxakegiqafxgj6u@momjian.us

There is talk of using a derived key with a contant to make sure all
heap/index files use a different derived key than WAL, but I am not
sure.  This is related to whether WAL IV and per-heap/index IV can
collide.

There are other emails in the thread that also discuss the topic.  The
issue is that we add a lot of complexity to other parts of the system,
(e.g. pg_upgrade, CREATE DATABASE, moving relations between tablespaces)
to create a derived key, so we should make sure we need it before we do
it.

> In general it's fine to use the same IV with different keys. Only reuse of Key
> + IV is a problem and the entire set of possible counter values (IV + 0, IV +
> 1, ...) generated with a key must be unique. That's also why we must leave at
> least log2(PAGE_SIZE / AES_BLOCK_SIZE) bits at the end of the IV to be filled
> in with 0, 1, 2, ... for each 16-byte AES-block on the page. If our per-page IV
> prefix used any of those bits then the counter could overflow into the next
> page's IV's range.

Agreed.

Attached is an updated patch that checks only main relation forks, which
I think are the only files we are going ot encrypt, and it has better
comments.

Attachment