Re: COPY command on a table column marked as GENERATED ALWAYS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: COPY command on a table column marked as GENERATED ALWAYS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 03:12:28PM +0530, Ashutosh Sharma wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm able to insert data into a table column marked as GENERATED ALWAYS
> using COPY command however, it fails with INSERT command. Isn't that a
> bug with COPY command?

Per the documentation in the section for GENERATED ALWAYS:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-createtable.html

"The clauses ALWAYS and BY DEFAULT determine how the sequence value is
given precedence over a user-specified value in an INSERT
statement. If ALWAYS is specified, a user-specified value is only
accepted if the INSERT statement specifies OVERRIDING SYSTEM VALUE. If
BY DEFAULT is specified, then the user-specified value takes
precedence. See INSERT for details. (In the COPY command,
user-specified values are always used regardless of this setting.)"

So it behaves as documented.
--
Michael

Attachment