Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-07-28 10:07:27 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> In the long run, might we ever switch to 64-bit OIDs?  I dunno.
> Now that we kicked them out of user tables, it might be feasible,
> but by the same token there's not much pressure to do it.

Depends on the the table, I'd say. Having toast tables have 64bit ids,
and not advance the oid counter, would be quite the advantage over the
current situation. Toasting performance craters once the oid counter has
wrapped. But obviously there are upgrade problems there - presumably
we'd need 'narrow" and 'wide' toast tables, or such.

Greetings,

Andres Freund