Re: Hardware for writing/updating 12,000,000 rows per hour - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Hardware for writing/updating 12,000,000 rows per hour
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2019-Jul-26, Arya F wrote:

> I think I can modify my application to do a batch update. Right now the
> server has an HDD and it really can't handle a lot of updates and inserts
> per second. Would changing to a regular SSD be able to easily do 3000
> updates per second?

That's a pretty hard question in isolation -- you need to consider how
many indexes are there to update, whether the updated columns are
indexed or not, what the datatypes are, how much locality of access
you'll have ... I'm probably missing some other important factors.  (Of
course, you'll have to tune various PG server settings to find your
sweet spot.)

I suggest that should be measuring instead of trying to guess.  A
reasonably cheap way is to rent a machine somewhere with the type of
hardware you think you'll need, and run your workload there for long
enough, making sure to carefully observe important metrics such as table
size, accumulated bloat, checkpoint regime, overall I/O activity, and so
on.