Re: Rearchitecting for storage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kenneth Marshall
Subject Re: Rearchitecting for storage
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Matt,

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 10:41:31AM -0400, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 at 04:21, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > This could be trivial, but any chance you can partition the table
> > and/or archive unused records (at least temporarly)? A 18 TB table
> > quite frankly sounds a good candidate to contain records no one is
> > interested in the near future.
> >

> Partitioning is a possibility.  The whole database is historical test
> results, stored specifically for doing comparisons over time, so I'm not
> sure we can actually archive anything.  Expiring old test data is a
> discussion we might have to have, eventually.

This is a case were using a compressed filesystem can give you space
savings as well as faster read performance due to the compression
factor. In my case a sequential scan of something in the compressed
tablespace runs almost 3X faster than on the non-compressed one.

Regards,
Ken