Re: Corrupt index stopping autovacuum system wide - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Corrupt index stopping autovacuum system wide
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2019-Jul-17, Peter Geoghegan wrote:

> Maybe nbtree VACUUM should do something more aggressive than give up
> when there is a "failed to re-find parent key" or similar condition.
> Perhaps it would make more sense to make the index inactive (for some
> value of "inactive") instead of just complaining. That might be the
> least worst option, all things considered.

Maybe we can mark an index as unvacuumable in some way?  As far as I
understand, all queries using that index work, as do index updates; it's
just vacuuming that fails.  If we mark the index as unvacuumable, then
vacuum just skips it (and does not run phase 3 for that table), and
things can proceed; the table's age can still be advanced.  Obviously
it'll result in more bloat than in normal condition, but it shouldn't
cause the whole cluster to go down.