Re: A little report on informal commit tag usage - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: A little report on informal commit tag usage
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Jul-16, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> The green gamification dot on people’s Github profiles might light up if the
> machine readable format with email address was used (and the user has that
> specific email connected to their Github account unless it’s a primary email).
> Looking at commit 1c9bb02d8ec1d5b1b319e4fed70439a403c245b1 I can see that for
> August 2018 Amit’s Github profile lists “Created 1 commit in 1 repository
> postgres/postgres 1 commit”, which is likely from this commit message being
> parsed in the mirror.

I specifically use "co-authored-by" (and scanning the grep results, I'm
the only person doing it) because github recognizes it in this way.
However I only feel entitled to use it when the patch has been developed
by me plus some other person(s), which has a bit of a contradictory result:
when I don't touch some submitted patch, I use "Author" since I (the
committer) am not a co-author.  That means github attributes such
patches solely to me :-(

I realize now, however, that in order for this to work I have to include
the email address, not just the name.  I failed to do that at least
once.