Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 06:28:42PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Jul-10, Joe Conway wrote:
>
> > On 7/10/19 3:53 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > > (I do think you can have multiple writes of the same page with
> > > different LSNs, if you change hint bits and don't write WAL about it,
> >
> > Do you mean "multiple writes of the same page without..."?
>
> Right, "twice the same page with the same LSN" is what I was thinking,
> which is basically the question Tomas asked afterwards.

Just to clarify, the case being discussed above is where we modify a
page with a new row, write the page with an LSN, then change a hint bit
on the page, and, if log_hint_bits is false, write the page with the
hint bit change without changing the LSN since we didn't log hint bits.