Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Date
Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)  (Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)  (Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 02:09:38PM -0400, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 7/9/19 11:11 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Good point about nonce and IV.  I wonder if running the nonce
> > through the cipher with the key makes it random enough to use as an
> > IV.
>
> Based on that NIST document it seems so.
>
> The trick will be to be 100% sure we never reuse a nonce that is used
> to produce the IV when using the same key.
>
> I think the potential to get that wrong (i.e. inadvertently reuse a
> nonce) would lead to using the second described method
>
>   "The second method is to generate a random data block using a
>   FIPS-approved random number generator."
>
> That method is what I am used to seeing. But with the second method
> we need to store the IV, with the first we could reproduce it if we
> select our initial nonce carefully.
>
> So thinking out loud, and perhaps you already said this Bruce, but I
> guess the input nonce used to generate the IV could be something like
> pg_class.oid and blocknum concatenated together with some delimiting
> character as long as we guarantee that we generate different keys in
> different databases. Then there would be no need to store the IV since
> we could reproduce it.

Uh, yes, and no.  Yes, we can use the pg_class.oid (since it has to
be preserved by pg_upgrade anyway), and the page number.  However,
different databases can have the same pg_class.oid/page number
combination, so there would be duplication between databases.  Now, you
might say let's add the pg_database.oid, but unfortunately, because of
the way we file-system-copy files from one database to another during
database creation (it doesn't go through shared buffers), we can't use
pg_database.oid as part of the nonce.

My only idea here is that we actually decrypt/re-encrypted pages as we
copy them at the file system level during database creation to match the
new pg_database.oid.  This would allow pg_database.oid in the nonce/IV.
(I think we will need to modify pg_upgrade to preserve pg_database.oid.)

If the nonce/IV is 96 bits, then that is 12 bytes or 3 4-byte values.
pg_class.oid is 4 bytes, pg_database.oid is 4 bytes, and that leaves
4-bytes for the block number, which gets us to 32TB before the page
counter would overflow a 4-byte value, and our max table size is 32TB
anyway, so that all works.

> This all assumes that we encrypt each block independently. Sound
> correct?

Yes, I think 8k encryption granularity is a requirement.  If not, you
would need to potentially load and write multiple 8k pages for a single
8k page change, which seems very complex.