Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Jul-05, Stephen Frost wrote:

> I had been specifically thinking of tablespaces because we might be able
> to do something exactly along these lines- keep which tablespace the
> data is in directly in the WAL (and not encrypted), but then have the
> data itself be encrypted, and with the key for that tablespace.

Hmm, I was imagining that the user-level data is encrypted, while the
metadata such as the containing relfilenode is not encrypted and thus
can be read by system processes such as checkpointer or WAL-apply
without needing to decrypt anything.  Maybe I'm just lacking imagination
for an attack that uses that unencrypted metadata, though.

> Splitting the WAL by tablespace would be even nicer, of course... :)

Hmm, I think you would have to synchronize the apply anyway (i.e. not
replay in one tablespace ahead of a record in another tablespace with an
earlier LSN.)  What are you thinking are the gains of doing that, anyway?