Re: LDAP auth - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: LDAP auth
Date
List pgsql-admin
Greetings,

* Pierre Ochsenbein (pierreochsenbein@gmail.com) wrote:
> I'm running on PostgreSQL 10.6 and would like to connect with LDAP users
> I have sync all users from my group in my database and I can find users :-)
>
> hostssl    all             all             10.1.1.0/24        ldap
> ldapurl="ldap://ldap.local/OU=ASA,OU=Forest%20Admin%20Accounts%20%26%20Roles,DC=ASATL,DC=NET?sAMAccountName?sub"
> ldaptls=1 ldapbinddn="CN=POSTGRES,OU=Service Accounts,OU=Global,OU=Member
> Servers,DC=PMINTL,DC=NET" ldapbindpasswd='password001'
>
> What is the best way to put the LDAP query in pg_hba? I think the error
> comes from here

Are you in an Active Directory environment?  If so, you'd be much better
off using Kerberos/GSSAPI instead of LDAP.  There's specific information
about doing that available here:

https://info.crunchydata.com/blog/windows-active-directory-postgresql-gssapi-kerberos-authentication

Note that when using LDAP in this way, the user's password ends up being
sent from the client to the server, so if the PG server is compromised
then user's passwords can end up being exposed, allowing a potential
attacker to then impersonate the user to gain access to other services
in the environment (as that's the user's single-sign-on password...).

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment