Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-05-23 09:37:50 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 9:30 AM Sergei Kornilov <sk@zsrv.org> wrote:
> > > wal_level is PGC_POSTMASTER.
> >
> > But primary can be restarted without restart on standby. We require wal_level replica or highter (currently only
logical)on standby. So online change from logical to replica wal_level is possible on standby's controlfile.

> That's true, but Amit's scenario involved a change in wal_level during
> the execution of pg_create_logical_replication_slot(), which I think
> can't happen.

I don't see why not - we're talking about the wal_level in the WAL
stream, not the setting on the standby. And that can change during the
execution of pg_create_logical_replication_slot(), if a PARAMTER_CHANGE
record is replayed. I don't think it's actually a problem, as I
outlined in my response to Amit, though.

Greetings,

Andres Freund