Re: Trying to handle db corruption 9.6 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Trying to handle db corruption 9.6
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 04:20:45PM +0000, Bimal wrote:
>   I had ran into same issue about year back, luckily I had standby to
>   quickly promote.  But, I wish there was better a documentation on how to
>   handle WAL log fill up and resetting them.

pg_resetxlog is not a tool to deal with "WAL fill up". It's a last
resort option to deal with corrupted WAL, and can easily make matters
worse when used without due consideration. That seems to be the case
here, unfortunately.

On a properly behaving system, running out of disk space for pg_xlog
results in database shutdown. If you also get corrupted WAL, you have
bigger problems, I'm afraid.

Also, data corruption issues are one-off events, mostly unique. That
makes it rather difficult (~impossible) to write docs about recovering
from them. And it's why there are no magic tools.

regards