Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 06:49:29PM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 6:32 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > The release notes are written for the _average_ reader.  The commits are
> > there as comments and making them more visible would be a nice
> > improvement.
>
> I don't think that making it possible to read the release notes from
> start to finish is a useful goal. Users probably just skim them. I
> certainly don't read them from start to finish, nor do I expect to
> understand every item.

I think we expect people to read them fully because how would they know
what changed and what new features were added.  I do think allowing more
detail by showing the commit messages would be helpful for people who
want to drill down on an item.

> > We have already adjusted the partition item, and the btree item.
>
> I was making a general point. This comes up every year.
>
> > If there is more detail people want, I suggest you post something to the
> > hackers list and we will see if can be added in a consistent way.
>
> I think that it should be discussed at the developer meeting.

OK, that makes sense.