Re: make \d pg_toast.foo show its indices - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: make \d pg_toast.foo show its indices
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > Having our test framework deny us useful features just strikes me as
> > bizarre.
>
> This is presuming that it's useful, which is debatable IMO.
> I think most people will find it useless noise almost all of the time.

Alright, maybe I'm not the best representation of our user base, but I
sure type 'select oid,* from pg_class where relname = ...' with some
regularity, mostly to get the oid to then go do something else.  Having
the relfilenode would be nice too, now that I think about it, and
reltuples.  There's ways to get *nearly* everything that's in pg_class
and friends out of various \d incantations, but not quite everything,
which seems unfortunate.

In any case, I can understand an argument that the code it requires is
too much to maintain for a relatively minor feature (though it hardly
seems like it would be...) or that it would be confusing or unhelpful to
users (aka "noise") much of the time, so I'll leave it to others to
comment on if they think any of these ideas be a useful addition or not.

I just don't think we should be voting down a feature because it'd take
a bit of extra effort to make our regression tests work with it, which
is all I was intending to get at here.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment