Re: invalid memory alloc request size from pg_stat_activity? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: invalid memory alloc request size from pg_stat_activity?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 2019-May-07, Euler Taveira wrote:

> Em seg, 6 de mai de 2019 às 20:04, James Tomson <james@pushd.com> escreveu:
> >
> > ourdb=> SELECT pid, state, age(query_start, clock_timestamp()), usename, query FROM pg_stat_activity WHERE query !=
'<IDLE>'AND state != 'idle' ORDER BY age limit 100;

> > ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 1652113408
> >
> That is because it is limited to 1GB - 1.
>
> > Maybe this has to do with us setting track_activity_query_size=102400? Is there a known safe maximum for that, or
couldthere be some other problem?

> Question is: why do you want to return such a big query text? That's
> impractical for admin/monitoring tools. We can usually identify a
> query with 1024 bytes (that is the default).

Hmm, but 102400 is only 100kB, nowhere near the 1GB-1 limit, so there's
something odd going on there.

I would start investigating by attaching a debugger and setting a
breakpoint on 'errfinish', then running the above query; past the
backtrace here, as it might be illuminating.