Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck! - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 2019-Apr-15, Tom Lane wrote:

> It's barely conceivable that in your particular query, there's something
> acting to break that which doesn't manifest typically; but I think it's
> much more likely that you simply haven't found the culprit allocation.
> It's quite feasible that many many ExecHashJoinGetSavedTuple calls would
> go by in between problem allocations.

A possibly useful thing to do is use "commands" in gdb to print out a
stack trace for each allocation that touches the problem memory context
and collect them into some output, then classify the allocations based
on the stack trace on each.  No need to do it manually.