Re: partitioned tables referenced by FKs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: partitioned tables referenced by FKs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Mar-29, Jesper Pedersen wrote:

> Could expand a bit on the change to DEPENDENCY_INTERNAL instead of
> DEPENDENCY_PARTITION_PRI / DEPENDENCY_PARTITION_SEC ?

The PARTITION dependencies work in a way that doesn't do what we want.
Admittedly, neither does INTERNAL, but at least it's less bad.

> If you run "DROP TABLE t2_p32 CASCADE" the foreign key constraint is removed
> from all of t1.

Yes.  CASCADE is always a dangerous tool; if you run the DROP partition
without cascade, it explicitly lists that the constraint is going to be
dropped.

If you get in the habit of added CASCADE to all your drops, you're going
to lose data pretty quickly.  In this case, no data is lost, only a
constraint.