Re: Inconsistencies in the behavior of CHR() function in PG. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Inconsistencies in the behavior of CHR() function in PG.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Re: Prabhat Sahu 2019-03-29 <CANEvxPqaQqojU+XyKrfiwt729P+ZikjYsfn=hQhEzcTKm5iWoQ@mail.gmail.com>
> While trying to explore on CHR() function in PG,
> I found that few of the ASCII values are returning hex number values(like
> '\x08', '\x0B')
> and few are executing within SQL (i.e. chr(9) => Horizontal tab,  chr(10)
> => Line feed) as below example.

That's not a property of chr(), but generally of the "text" datatype:

# select E'\002'::text;
 text
──────
 \x02

Non-printable characters are quoted. See also:

# select i, chr(i) from generate_series(1, 256) g(i);

Christoph