Re: Key encryption and relational integrity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: Key encryption and relational integrity
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2019-03-28 18:36:40 +0100, Moreno Andreo wrote:
> Il 26/03/2019 18:08, Adrian Klaver ha scritto:
> > To me it would seem something like:
> >
> > Table medications
> > id    user_id        med
> > 1    sgkighs98    Medication
> > 2    sghighs98    Ear check
> >

> > Table users
> > id            surname    last name
> > sgkighs98     John            Doe
> > jkopkl1       Jane            Doe
> > uepoti21      Foo             Bar
> >
> > Where there is no direct link between the two.
>
> Are you sure there isn't?... the key "sgkighs98" is present on both
> tables and I can join tables on that field, so the pseudonimysation
> does not apply,

Yes. It doesn't matter whether the key is 'sgkighs98' or 1438 or
692da0c1-cf2d-476d-8910-7f82c050f8fe.

> it's just "separation" (that was OK with the last privacy act, but not
> with GDPR

I doubt that this is correct. The GDPR doesn't prescribe specific
technical means (there may be laws or standards in your country which
prescribe such means for medical data, but that's not the GDPR).

> The problem is not on the application side... there you can do almost
> anything you want to do. The prolem is that if someone breaks in the
> server (data breach) it is easy to join patients and their
> medications.

I sure hope that the doctors are able to join patients and their
medications. So at some level that has to be possible. If you assume a
break-in into the server, there will always be a level of penetration at
which the attacker will be able to access any data an authorized user
can access.

        hp

| |   | hjp@hjp.at         | management tools.

Attachment