Re: propagating replica identity to partitions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: propagating replica identity to partitions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Mar-22, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 5:01 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > I already argued that TABLESPACE and OWNER TO are documented to work
> > that way, and have been for a long time, whereas REPLICA IDENTITY has
> > never been.  If you want to change long-standing behavior, be my guest,
> > but that's not my patch.  On the other hand, there's no consensus that
> > those should be changed, whereas there no opposition specifically
> > against changing this one, and in fact it was reported as a bug to me by
> > actual users.
>
> Well, you have a commit bit, and I cannot prevent you from using it,
> and nobody else is backing me up here, but it doesn't change my
> opinion.

Can I ask for more opinions here?  Should I apply this behavior change
to pg12 or not?  If there's no consensus that it should be changed, I
wouldn't change it.

To recap: my proposed change is to make
    ALTER TABLE ... REPLICA IDENTITY
when applied on a partitioned table affect all of its partitions instead
of expecting the user to invoke the command for each partition.  At the
same time, I am proposing not to change to have recursive behavior other
forms of ALTER TABLE in one commit, such as TABLESPACE and OWNER TO,
which currently do not have recursive behavior.