Re: Camel case identifiers and folding - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: Camel case identifiers and folding
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2019-03-16 14:00:34 -0600, Rob Sargent wrote:
>         What sort of content is in your field of type text?  Certainly, in
>         English
>         prose, “rob” is different than “Rob”
>

>     I disagree. While the grammar for written English has rules when to
>     write "rob" and when to write "Rob", that distinction usually carries no
>     semantic difference. Consider:
[...]
> I don’t think it’s solely about the semantics.  One might be contractually
> obligated to always spell a name in some exact way including it capitalization.
> For instance if referring to "Rob Sargent” as a quote or accreditation, then
> it’s not okay to let a typo “rob Sargent” go through.

1) Such contracts might exist, but they are only binding to the signing
parties, they don't affect what is commonly understood as "the English
language". Everybody else will see it as an obvious typo and won't
assume that this refers to some "rob Sargent" who is a different person
than "Rob Sargent".

2) I don't think the OP was talking about spell-checking. And in any
case spell-checking is more complicated than simply comparing strings
byte by byte.

        hp

| |   | hjp@hjp.at         | management tools.

Attachment