Re: BUG #15636: PostgreSQL 11.1 pg_basebackup backup to a CIFSdestination throws fsync error at end of backup - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: BUG #15636: PostgreSQL 11.1 pg_basebackup backup to a CIFSdestination throws fsync error at end of backup
Date
In response to Re: BUG #15636: PostgreSQL 11.1 pg_basebackup backup to a CIFSdestination throws fsync error at end of backup  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 04:10:58PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> Well the theory is that it's OK because it's only for directories (the
> same case in which case we already tolerate EBADF (for an OS that
> nobody documented so we don't really know if/when we can take it
> out)).  But I agree with you that the patch does not spark joy.

If I would vote for this patch, that would be -0.1, meaning that I am
not strongly opposed to it, but I don't see any strong point either to
do something about it as there are downsides.  When in doubt about a
back-patch, I use as basic rule to never back-patch so as we are sure
that users avoid any surprises and keep relying on the existing
design.
--
Michael

Attachment