Re: pgsql: Fix compiler builtin usage in new pg_bitutils.c - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pgsql: Fix compiler builtin usage in new pg_bitutils.c
Date
Re: pgsql: Fix compiler builtin usage in new pg_bitutils.c  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-committers
On 2019-Feb-15, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I'm done with this stuff.  Anybody feel free to run with it, but for a
> > barely noticeable performance improvement it's not going to be me.
>
> Sure, I'll pick it up.  I agree it's probably a marginal performance
> change, but it seems a shame to give up when we were 80% of the way
> there.

(BTW, my reading of the articles I cited, as well as my own runs of the
test programs therein, suggest that in order to get a really good
performance improvement you need to hand-code calls to the POPCNT
instruction in assembly rather than rely on the compiler intrinsics.  I
think there is^Wwas almost enough infrastructure to do that.  I'm not
sure that the operations being optimized by these changes are
interesting enough, in the grand scheme of things.)