Re: psql and readline comments - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: psql and readline comments
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 09:18:09AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 14/01/2019 16:59, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > I agree -- it doesn't make sense to treat the insert-comment command as
> > inserting a #, which is not a comment for psql.  I use meta-# often in
> > bash and I'm never happy to have to resort to manually prepending "--"
> > in psql in order to make the current line a comment instead.
>
> I have found
>
> rl_variable_bind("comment-begin",";");
>
> in the clisp code, so it seems it's not unheard of to do this sort of thing.

Agreed.  I am not sure how someone would conditionally bind M-# to --
_only_ in psql, so it seems doing it in psql might be the logical, and
only choice.  I see rl_variable_bind() referenced in libedit:

    https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/libedit/+/refs/heads/master/src/readline.c

so I think we are good in applying this to master.