Re: Log a sample of transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Log a sample of transactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 06:03:36PM +0100, Adrien NAYRAT wrote:
> The goal is not to find slow queries in a transaction, but troubleshoot
> applicative issue when you have short queries.
>
> Sometimes you want to understand what happens in a transaction, either you
> perfectly know your application, either you have to log all queries and find
> ones with the same transaction ID (%x). It could be problematic if you have
> a huge traffic with fast queries.

Looks like a sensible argument to me.  High log throughput can cause
Postgres performance to go down by a couple of percents, which kills
the purpose of tracking down performance problems as this could impact
directly the application.
--
Michael

Attachment