Re: could recovery_target_timeline=latest be the default in standbymode? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: could recovery_target_timeline=latest be the default in standbymode?
Date
Re: could recovery_target_timeline=latest be the default in standbymode?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 01:21:00PM +0200, David Steele wrote:
> This patch looks good to me.

(Sorry for the delay here)
0001 looks fine to me.

-        to the latest timeline found in the archive, which is useful in
-        a standby server. Other than that you only need to set this parameter
+        to the latest timeline found in the archive.  That is the default.
+       </para>
Isn't it useful to still mention that the default is useful especially
for standby servers?

-    the WAL archive. If you plan to have multiple standby servers for high
-    availability purposes, set <varname>recovery_target_timeline</varname> to
-    <literal>latest</literal>, to make the standby server follow the timeline change
-    that occurs at failover to another standby.
+    the WAL archive.
I think that we should still keep this recommendation as well, as well
as the one below.

-   RecoveryTargetTimeLineGoal rttg = RECOVERY_TARGET_TIMELINE_CONTROLFILE;
+   RecoveryTargetTimeLineGoal rttg;
Good to remove this noise.

> Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Agreed.

> There don't seem to be any tests for recovery_target_timeline=current. This
> is an preexisting condition but it probably wouldn't hurt to add one.

Yes, I got to wonder while looking at this patch why we don't have one
yet in 003_recovery_targets.pl.  That's easy enough to do thanks to
the extra rows inserted after doing the stuff for the LSN-based
restart point, and attached is a patch to add the test.  Peter, could
you merge it with 0001?  I am fine to take care of that myself if
necessary.
--
Michael

Attachment