Re: Grant documentation about "all tables" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Grant documentation about "all tables"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings Lætitia!

* Lætitia Avrot (laetitia.avrot@gmail.com) wrote:
> When you look at Postgres' SQL reference documentation for `GRANT`, the
> `ALL TABLES` clause is explained as :
>
> > ALL TABLES also affects views and foreign tables, just like
> the specific-object GRANT command.
>
> A colleague of mine was asking himself if it included materialized views or
> not (well, yes it does).
>
> I made that tiny patch to add materialized views to the list. It builds on
> my laptop.
>
> Then another question crossed my mind... What about partitioned tables ?
> I'm pretty sure it works for them too (because they're basically tables)
> but should we add them too ? I couldn't decide whether to add them too or
> not so I refrain from doing it and am asking you the question.

The question here, at least in my mind, is if we feel it necessary to
list out all of the specific kinds of "views" (as in, regular views and
materialized views), and the same question applies to tables- do we list
out all the specific kinds of "tables" (to include partitioned tables),
or not?

To figure that out, I'd suggest looking at existing documentation where
we have similar lists and see what we've done in the past.  If those
other cases list everything explicitly, then the answer is clear, and if
they don't, then we can either leave the documentation as-is, or come up
with a complete list of changes that need to be made.

If there aren't any other cases then I'd probably fall-back on looking
at how we document things in the system catalogs area of the docs and
see how much we get into the individual specific kinds of tables/views
and perhaps that would help us figure out what makes sense to do here.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment