Re: Unified logging system for command-line programs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Unified logging system for command-line programs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-01-03 17:03:43 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On 03/01/2019 22:01, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> while ereport(ERROR) has the
> >> effect of writing a message and then calling exit(1).
>
> > The problem is that in majority of cases the FRONTEND code, as it is
> > written today, doesn't want to exit() after an error.
>
> Right, so for that you'd use ereport(WARNING) or LOG or whatever.

Or we could just add an ERROR variant that doesn't exit. Years back
I'd proposed that we make the log level a bitmask, but it could also
just be something like CALLSITE_ERROR or something roughly along those
lines.  There's a few cases in backend code where that'd be beneficial
too.

Greetings,

Andres Freund