Re: Why Postgres doesn't use TID scan? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Why Postgres doesn't use TID scan?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 2018-Dec-17, Tom Lane wrote:

> Queries like yours are kinda sorta counterexamples to that, but pretty
> much all the ones I've seen seem like crude hacks (and this one is not
> an exception).  Writing a bunch of code to support them feels like
> solving the wrong problem.  Admittedly, it's not clear to me what the
> right problem to solve instead would be.

Yeah, over the years I've confronted several times with situations where
a deletion by ctid (and sometimes updates, IIRC) was the most convenient
way out of.  It's not the kind of thing that you'd do with any
frequency, just one-offs.  It's always been a bit embarrasing that this
doesn't "work properly".  There's always been some way around it, much
slower and less convenient ...