Re: order of reading the conf files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: order of reading the conf files
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings,

* Rene Romero Benavides (rene.romero.b@gmail.com) wrote:
> Why do you need to know that ?

Please don't top-post, first, and second, it certainly seems like a
worthwhile thing to want to know, for a variety of reasons, such as
"what takes precedence- ALTER SYSTEM, or a configuration in
postgresql.conf?"

> Am Do., 6. Dez. 2018 um 01:21 Uhr schrieb bhargav kamineni <
> kbn98406@gmail.com>:
> > may i know the order in which postgres reads the configuration files like
> > conf , auto.conf , hba  ?

The regular postgresql.conf file is read first, then
postgresql.auto.conf and then pg_hba.conf and pg_ident.conf.  We can't
read pg_hba.conf/pg_ident.conf before reading postgresql.conf and
postgresql.auto.conf because their location is specified in
postgresql.conf/postgresql.auto.conf.

> > and how does postmaster forks postgres , can we see that forking process
> > in logfile ?

If you have log_connections enabled, we'll log the 'connection received'
message very shortly after fork'ing.

You could also enable DEBUG2 (or higher) to see the fork from the parent
process.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment