Re: ToDo: show size of partitioned table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: ToDo: show size of partitioned table
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 12:42:14PM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Here my position is strong. \dP for me doesn't mean "tables or
> indexes" - it means "partition tables with total relation size". I
> don't see any sense to show tables and indexes in one report.

Please let me disagree on that point.  \dP, \dPt and \dPi are commands
able to show information about respectively partitioned relations,
partitioned tables and partitioned indexes, which is not something only
related to the size of those partitions.  Showing only the level of a
relation in its hierarchy may be useful, but that's confusing for the
user without knowing its direct parent or its top-most parent.  For
multiple levels, the direct parent without the number in the hierarchy
seems enough to me.  I may be of course wrong in designing those
concepts.
--
Michael

Attachment